Originally called the Thames Junction Railway, the Deptford Wharf Branch was a goods-only branch built to a railway-owned wharf on the Thames incorporating the old established Deadman’s Dock. This connected in to the lines to New Cross Gate and the South London Line and its route crossed the Grand Surrey Canal, first on a lifting bridge then further north at a higher level on an over bridge.
The dock built was by John Winter in 1704 and belonged to the Evelyn family. Described in 1726 as having a great depth of water, and as being the best private dock upon the river.
Deptford Wharf was visited by a rail tour in 1958, which showed that the docks and railway were still in active use, and the branch down Grove Street to the victualling yard was still connected. However, the victualling yard was closed in June 1961, and the rail branch serving Deptford docks was closed a year or two later with the tracks being lifted in 1963.
The wharf was more or less divided into two halves with Grove Street forming the boundary. There was a line which came out of the east side of a yard and formed the Grove Street Tramway that ran down the middle of the road to the Corporation of London Foreign Cattle Market (Now Convoys Wharf). Between the Wharf and the cattle market was the Royal Victualling Yard, later the Royal Victoria Yard.